Skip to main content

Is fear our biggest motivator?

Recently i have experienced an extreme urge and inspiration at work and as good as it is to feel so motivated i had to stop and wonder where it all came from. I mean, it was a sudden concentration fully focussed on logically thinking about my career and considering the next steps on my path to success, all in the hope of attaining that much desired 'pot of gold' at the end of my rainbow.

It was during this time that i had a profound realisation, i am driven by two things: passion and more recently as i discovered, i am driven by fear. Fear of failure is how i get things done urgently. It is the fear of the consequences, not the achievement itself, that pushes me to do tasks fast and do them well.

For example, my passion is to write and edit so i am in the perfect job, which is why i love what i do. On the other end of this spectrum is the fear of what would happen if i lost my job. Logistically i would not get money, which ultimately cuts off my lifestyle and the ability to take care of myself (something which i always found important). I hate to rely on people and ask for favours, which is odd because it gives me great pleasure to help others when i can. It's a hypocritical way of thinking, i'm aware, but that is how i think of things.

It sounds strange to become instantly motivated by fear, but sometimes the things that inpsire us don't come from the best of places. They are born from the fear of what may happen if we don't achieve what we set out to do. I suppose it makes me understand those who have the 'failure is not an option' mentality. Those individuals are successful because they have to be, the alternative of giving up really isn't a realistic option.

In that respect, i can totally relate. I have to succeed because to lose my job or lose the ability to live the lifestyle i always dreamed about would be the biggest failure of all. So perhaps that is what keeps me so pumped and ready to shoot for the stars. At this point in my life there are no limits and i have set some big goals. Now it's just about my patience and above all my perseverance to see them through to fruition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I follow Tew on this one

“Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.” Robert Tew When i first read this quote i thought, yes! I agree and of course this is how we should all be. It's the only way to really achieve that happiness factor that we crave as human beings, but when we look at everyday decision making in reality, can we really say we have all done this to the nth degree? Chosen to leave a job as soon as it got tiresome and less rewarding or did we stick it out to get that promotion we thought was well deserved after however many hours, months or even years of effort went into it.  Can we honestly agree that every relationship we have been in has served us well, or made us grow for that matter?  I think not.  It's sad to admit but the decisions we make in life don't often involve our own happiness as a first basic instinct. We tend to rationalise and within a capitalist society we try to bal

What are you most passionate about?

Here is a video to inspire your start to 2013. When i first saw it i knew i wanted to share it, as it talks about something i truly believe in: striving to do things in your life that you are truly passionate about, instead of just chasing a job that will lead to making loads of money. For many of us money is the key motivator in choosing our direction in life starting from the subjects we study at school to the level of education we pursue, which ultimately leads to a career that will make the money we so desire. But this video questions such motivation. In fact it goes as far as to say that it's a stupid way of living and i agree. The truth is we do things that make us bored and unhappy in order to attain the money we require to 'purchase' our happiness. All we should be doing is asking ourselves simply what it is that we desire to do in life and then just do that instead. That way we can be happy all the time and still be able to make money from our passion if we bec